UBM Poland - PDE Engineer
Poland - UBM Nysa
Umicore Battery Materials
Engineering & Technology
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About Rechargeable Battery Materials
We are all on the move. Umicore’s rechargeable battery materials give people autonomy and connectivity. We are a pioneer in battery materials that give added range and performance to electric vehicles. Our materials also ensure longer battery life for portable electronics. To enable our customers to produce even better performing batteries we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas.
What you will be doing
You will be part of the global Process Technology within the business unit of Rechargeable Battery Materials. As the regional Process Development Engineer, you will be working on process engineering for the multiple investment and improvement projects which are planned for our Polish production plant.
This role with focus on the technology domain of cathode production (powder handling, high temperature processes, wet processes, waste-water treatment, and contamination prevention). As part of a global team, you will intensively collaborate with colleagues at different locations worldwide (e.g. Korea, China, Belgium, Canada).
- Provide process guidance to the engineering project team and operational team during commissioning and qualification of new equipment/lines
- Supporting regional process engineering activities, in all its aspects, of new and improved production lines for cathode materials in Poland
- Preparation and review of process engineering documentation for improvement of existing production lines and implementation within expansion programs
- Design, collect data, analyze and compile reports on a variety of process engineering studies
- Troubleshoot complex problems, perform root cause analysis, and resolve diverse issues requiring innovative thinking
- Screening and evaluation of equipment suppliers within cathode technology field, specifically focused on Europe
- Assist in innovative improvements projects within areas such as process design, equipment development and energy optimization
- Support process safety assessments such as PHA, HAZOP, FMEA
- Preparation, review, and approval of process engineering documentation for improvement of existing production lines and implementation within expansion programs
- Supporting the global R&D team with regional tests (internal and at suppliers)
Who we are looking for
We are looking for a flexible colleague with:
- Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s preferred) in process engineering, chemical engineering, chemical technology, mechanical engineering, industrial engineering, material engineering or similar;
- At least 2 years of experience working with manufacturing processes;
- Experience in reviewing and developing process engineering documentation such as P&ID; PFD, PCP, Mass and Energy Balance, Process Description, Control Narrative, URS, 2D/3D Drawings;
- Experience with review of material data sheet analysis, machines manuals reading, preparation of equipment specification;
- Practical competence in chemical industry or closely related with deep understanding of the physics and chemistry of the process;
- Experience in process analysis, set-up,
- Experience in lunching of new production lines included phase i.e: HC, line validation, product validation, Run at Rate and ramp-up;
- Experience in (supporting) process improvement, industrialization and engineering projects;
- Experience in process automation;
- Excellent reporting and communication skills in English is a must;
- Strong organizing skills;
- Team player, curious and eager to learn;
- Perseverant and committed to challenge status quo and improve people's life through sustainable technologies;
- Open, respectful, convincing
- Problem solving skills: systematic and methodological approach with ability to synthesize;
- Creativity in generating solutions;
- Willingness for business travel;
- Experience in cathode manufacturing processes;
- Experience with (large) expansion projects;
- Experience with commissioning of industrial lines;
- Experience in process standardization, procedure implementation,
- Experience in transition of new process from R&D to large scale production in a fast-growing environment;
- Experience in process simulation tools (Aspen, Metsim, HSC Chemistry);
- Knowledge in process safety – chemical safety, ATEX, dust exposure prevention;
- Competence in qualifying new processes and equipment, including 4M changes;
- Background in powder handling and manufacturing;
- Background in Automotive Industry;
- Experience in CAD software;
- Familiarity with statistics and problem-solving tools;
- Experience in working with data, materials and R&D teams to identify correlations and trends affecting product quality and performance;
- Ability to operate in a matrix structure in contact with different departments;
- Familiar with IATF, APQP, VDA standards;
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
Since this is a greenfield project, we are looking for specialist candidates to get our site started.
We look forward to receiving your application!